Friday, November 12, 2010

Eyeball Cupcakes (Halloween Special)

Guess what! 
A new entry - and it will be in english. Completely. No kidding.
I have decided to do some english entries every now and then - in honor of my english speaking readers. I know they have a hard time coming up here and expecting an international blog - and being disappointed by finding long entries written in german.
Sure, that is just due to the fact that I am german and that it is much more easy to blog in my native language (and it means much less mistakes, too).
But since I am reading and commenting on english speaking blogs mostly - this invites many international visitors, too. Therefore I have decided to do some international blogging every now and then.
Please be aware that english is not my native language and I will probably make some mistakes (a lot of grammatical ones, certainly) in those entries ... be generous and skip them ;-)

Alright then, here we go.

There is just a few recipes standing in queue and waiting to be blogged - but a lot of things we have to do these days are time-consuming and when it comes to spare time I would rather spend it in WoW or with sleeping than blogging.
Yes, sleeping. I am a very tired woman currently. I am not lazy, I swear. Well, maybe a little lazy, but not much. You do believe me, don´t you...
I need to complete them, though. I really just can´t stand the thought of baking and taking pictures knowing that a bunch of other recipies are still waiting for their shiny new entry and that it will take several days till the new ideas can find their way over here.

So please forgive me for less talk and more do - and let me present you part one of my Halloween special (yes, Halloween! The recipes are waiting this long...!):

Eyeball Cupcakes

The inspiration came from Annie´s Eats - a fabolous blog of an incredibly talented woman. Her cupcakes are way better than mine, that´s for sure. But still .. I like the way they turned out. So, thank you Annie for the great stroke of inspiration :-)
I have used the same recipe for the chocolate cupcakes as in my last entry, so credits will go in the same direction.
The original recipe came from Naomi (Bakers Royale) and was published at Endless Simmer.
Thank you all so much :-)

>>A short note for my [three] german visitors:
Eine kurze Einfügung für meine drei lieben deutschsprachigen Mitleser ^.^ (Nina, Tanja und Anja) .. ich poste das Rezept hier auf Englisch und in englischen Maßeinheiten, es entspricht aber den Schokocupcakes aus dem Post vor diesem.

Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar (yes, I have lessened the amount of sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a dash of salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup joghurt (pure)
- 3 tablespoons oil (neutral)
- vanilla

Additional ingedrients for frosting & decoration:
- 8 oz. cream cheese 
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- marzipan (enough for 12 little balls)
- 12 brown M&Ms (or even darker, if you can get them)
- blue and red food coloring
- icing made of powdered sugar, vanilla and some water or royal icing

Instructions:
Mix together all dry ingredients - which are cocoa, flour, sugar, salt, soda and baking powder.
 Put in the eggs and beat until the dry ingrdients are wet. 
 Add water and oil, then sitr the batter until it is well compounded.
 Then add the joghurt and beat again for one or two minutes.
Preheat your oven to 350° and prepare a muffin pan (yielding 12 cupcakes) with paper liners.
Fill the batter into the liners and bake them for about 20 minutes. Take them out of the oven and let them cool completely.

Prepare a frosting - meaning: mix cream cheese, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar in a bowl until well combined.
Transfer frosting onto the cupcakes.

Color the marzipan with the blue food coloring and divide into 12 little balls. Flatten these balls until they resemble the iris of an eye (well, sort of) and put them on top of the cupcakes (press gently .. so they do not fall off).

Glue the M&Ms into the middle of the marzipan - they shall be the lenses of our "eyes".
Maybe you can find something which resembles them even better.
The M&Ms are quite bulky - maybe you can use blackened fondant instead (if you have it). Looks better if it is all flat.

Prepare an icing (made out of powdered sugar, vanilla and water) and color it red. It would be quite better to use royal icing ... but I don´t have any nor do I have any experience with it .. so I used normal icing instead (with poorer results, as you can see).
Pipe little red veins all over the eye.

Done. You have created creepy little eyeball cupcakes - don´t you love it when your food stares back

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Cookienelle Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Homestay Bukit Gambang

Blogger Templates